• Bankruptcy

    • What Is a Reaffirmation Agreement?

      Even if a debt can be discharged, you may have special reasons why you want to promise to pay it. For example, you may want to work out a plan with the bank to keep your car. To promise to pay that debt, you must sign and file a reaffirmation agreement with the court. Reaffirmation agreements are under special rules and are voluntary. They are not required by bankruptcy law or by any other law.

      Reaffirmation agreements:

      • must be voluntary,
      • must not place too heavy a burden on you or your family,
      • must be in your best interest, and
      • can be canceled anytime before the court issues your discharge or within 60 days after the agreement is filed with the court, whichever gives you the most time.

      If you are an individual and you are not represented by an attorney, the court must hold a hearing to decide whether to approve the reaffirmation agreement. The agreement will not be legally binding until the court approves it.

      Be Advised: If you reaffirm a debt and then fail to pay it, you owe the debt the same as though there was no bankruptcy. The debt will not be discharged and the creditor can take action to recover any property on which it has a lien or mortgage. The creditor can also take legal action to recover a judgment against you.

    • What Is a Bankruptcy Discharge and How Does It Work?

      One of the reasons people file bankruptcy is to get a “discharge.” A discharge is a court order which states that you do not have to pay most of your debts. Some debts cannot be discharged.

      You cannot discharge debts for:

      • most taxes,
      • child support,
      • alimony,
      • most student loans,
      • court fines and criminal restitution, or
      • personal injury caused by driving drunk or under the influence of drugs,
      • debts that arose after the date you filed, and 
      • if the judge finds that you received money or property by fraud.

      It is important to list all your property and debts in your bankruptcy schedules. If you do not list a debt, for example, it is possible the debt will not be discharged. The judge can also deny your discharge if you do something dishonest in connection with your bankruptcy case, such as destroy or hide property, falsify records, or lie, or if you disobey a court order.

      NOTE: You can only receive a chapter 7 discharge once every eight years and other rules may apply if you previously received a discharge in a chapter 13 case.

      No one can make you pay a debt that has been discharged, but you can voluntarily pay any debt you wish to pay. You do not have to sign a reaffirmation agreement (see below) or any other kind of document to do this.

      Some creditors hold a secured claim, for example, the bank that holds the mortgage on your house or the loan company that has a lien on your car. You do not have to pay a secured claim if the debt is discharged, but the creditor can still take the property.

    • Will I Lose My Job if I File for Bankruptcy?

      Filing for bankruptcy is information that the public can view. However, this information is not published in any newspapers or distributed at any stores. The only people that will know that you filed for bankruptcy is the trustee in your case, your creditors, and the people that you choose to tell. If your employer finds out about your case, it should not adversely affect your position or job. This may not be true if you work within the financial industry.

    • How Will I Pay My Bills Going Forward?

      The key to paying your bills in addition to getting the most out of your bankruptcy case is to form a stringent budget that you can follow reasonably. If you have filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you need to have a budget to make sure that you are taking care of all of your required payments. If you file for Chapter 7 you will have your debts discharged, but only those debts that you had before the petition for Chapter 7 was filed. You will need a budget if you file for Chapter 7 to make sure that you won’t have to file again in the future. You should be able to consult with your Cumming Georgia bankruptcy attorney on this matter.

    • What Happens to My Credit?
      Bankruptcy can damage your credit and subsequently your credit score. We all know that credit scores play a large part in our lives and have for some time, as they help determine how much we pay for our cars, houses and more. However, if your score has already been damaged, bankruptcy can be a great first step to rebuilding your credit.
    • Why Hire the McCormick Firm P.C.?

      Our seasoned team will always protect your rights while using our large pool of resources and experience to help save your assets. Often mortgage companies and banks will try to violate your rights in an effort to take all that they can from you, which is why you need an aggressive bankruptcy law firm that has years of experience in dealing with the complexities of debtor and creditor law.

      You will have peace of mind knowing that we are on your side throughout the debt relief or bankruptcy process. The McCormick Law Firm always takes the time to explain to new clients how bankruptcy works, and will always advise you on the best course of action to take based on your situation. We will dispel any myths that you may have about filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and present you with facts and information that will help you decide on the best course of action to take.

  • DUI

    • What Happens if I Refuse a Breathalyzer Test?

      Refusing a Breathalyzer test will likely result in having your license suspended or even face jail time. The prosecutors may still base a potential DUI/DWI charge on other evidence collected at the scene, including officer observations, or the results of a field sobriety test. Also, your refusal may be used against you in any possible trial.

      Driving on our nation’s road is considered a privilege, not a right. Therefore, states can suspend or revoke your driver's license, levy fines, or even put you in jail for not submitting to a BAC test when suspected of a DUI.

      Turns out that under "Implied Consent Laws," drivers have implicitly consented to a BAC test in exchange for a driver's license. Bottom line, if you refuse a Breathalyzer, you will surrender your driving privileges, for 12 months. Those with past DUI convictions can face even longer suspensions or even jail time. Of course, some may conclude that the penalty for refusing a BAC test is less severe than a third or fourth DUI conviction, so it really depends.

      "No-Refusal" Enforcement: The state can force suspects drunk drivers to submit to testing under the authority of a warrant. Refusing a warrant-ordered BAC test can result in serious contempt charges, and the police can just draw a blood test by force.

    • What About the 10 Day Rule?

      The 10 day rule comes into play if you refused to take a urine, blood or breath test. If this is the case in your situation, you are looking at a one year suspension of your driver’s license. You can avoid this by requesting a hearing to the Georgia Department of Public Safety, which must be handwritten. If you do not make this request within 10 business days of your arrest, then your Georgia driver’s license will be suspended automatically.

    • What if the Arresting Officer Did Not Read Me My Miranda Rights?

      Under Georgia law, a police officer does not have to give a Miranda warning during an officer’s initial DUI investigation. A police officer only has to issue you your Miranda rights after you have been arrested and before the officer interrogates you. You should keep quiet, knowing that the officer is in charge and is listen carefully and watching you. The more you say the more likely you are to incriminate yourself before, during or after you have been arrested.

      However, if you have been placed into custody, interrogated, and not issued a Miranda warning any incriminating statements you make will not be admissible in the court of law. It is always a good idea to contact an Cumming Georgia DUI lawyer if you have any questions regarding Miranda rights or any other facet of DUI law.

    • What Happens if I Plead Guilty to a DUI in a Georgia Court?

      Mandatory jail time. Despite your cooperation, the judge ruling over your case has no other choice but to sentence you to jail time. Your license will also be suspended for one year, and you will have a Criminal Record (DUI), making it difficult to get a good job. Higher automobile insurance rates will follow you for years. Then add to all of this, major anxiety and emotional stress that often leads to family and work related issues.

  • Divorce

    • Parenting Seminar

      Finally, if minor children are involved in a divorce action, both parties are required to attend a "Parenting Seminar". This seminar typically lasts approximately four (4) hours and addresses issues pertaining to the minor children. More information on the parenting seminar may be obtained by contacting the Clerk of the Superior Court for the county in which the divorce action has been or will be filed in. If the Wife wishes to return to her maiden name, her "Name Change" can be granted in the Final Judgment and Decree of Divorce without the necessity of having to file a separate name change petition which would require the payment of filing and publication fees.

    • Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings

      If the divorce is "uncontested" or if the parties have finally reached an agreement as to all issues in a "contested" divorce, the parties may wish to conclude the divorce by filing a "Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings". This permits the judge to enter a final order on the divorce action without the necessity of either party appearing in court to present evidence.

    • Acknowledgment of Service

      In "uncontested divorce" actions, since the parties have reached an agreement as to all issues, the Defendant typically signs an "Acknowledgment of Service". This avoids the necessity of retaining the services of the Sheriff's Department to serve the divorce documents. By signing an "Acknowledgment of Service", the Defendant is acknowledging that they have in fact received a copy of the Summons and Complaint for Divorce.

    • Consent to Trial

      In order for the "uncontested divorce" to become final (i.e., concluded) in as short as thirty-one (31) days from the date of filing the divorce action, the parties are required to sign a "Consent to Trial" which must be notarized.

    • Alternative Dispute Resolution

      Most judges require both parties to go to mediation, also known as, "Alternative Dispute Resolution", if the divorce is "contested". If the parties reach an agreement as to ALL issues pertinent to the divorce, at times, the parties will submit a "Mediation Agreement" instead of the "Settlement Agreement". Otherwise, legal counsel for one of the parties will prepare a "Settlement Agreement" based on the agreement reached during mediation.

    • Settlement Agreement

      For "uncontested divorces", and divorces that begin as "contested" but ultimately settle, a "Settlement Agreement" (or "Mediation Agreement") is required. All issues pertaining to the divorce should be fully addressed in the Settlement Agreement (e.g., the marital home, custody of the children, child support, division of property, division of debts, health insurance, division of other assets, investments, pensions, taxes, visitation, alimony, attorney’s fees, etc). No issues related to the divorce should be left out of the Settlement Agreement. If the Settlement Agreement is not handled properly, the parties will likely be back in court within a few years or even a few months, arguing about some issue that should have been addressed, but was somehow left off the Settlement Agreement, which is big and often costly and frustrating mistake.

    • Permanent Parenting Plan

      The "Permanent Parenting Plan" is required. The Permanent Parenting Plan addresses primary physical custody (whether sole, or joint), legal custody (sole or joint), and a visitation schedule. Some judges will not require a Permanent Parenting Plan if all issues are adequately addressed within the Settlement Agreement.

    • Child Support Addendum

      The "Child Support Addendum" is another document required when minor children are involved. The gross income of each party, the number of children, the presumptive child support, any deviation for the presumptive child support amount, health, dental and vision insurance, uninsured healthcare expenses, parenting time, social security benefits, and any modifications are addressed within this form.

    • Child Support Worksheet

      Georgia, in the past, only took into consideration the income of the non-custodial parent (typically, the father). Now Georgia takes into consideration the income of both parents. In the "Child Support Worksheet", the income, health insurance, and child care expenses are entered. If either parent is unemployed, Georgia permits the entry of "imputed income" (based on minimum wage) for the unemployed parent. The child support worksheet will calculate the presumptive child support contribution for each party.

    • Domestic Relations Financial Affidavit

      If minor children are an issue in the divorce, both parties are required to file a "Domestic Relations Financial Affidavit". The parties of the divorce are required to disclose income, monthly expenses, debts, and assets. Information from this document is used to prepare the "Child Support Worksheet". The "Child Support Worksheet" is an online computer-generated document.

    • Complaint for Divorce

      A divorce action is initiated in Cumming, Georgia by the filing of the "Complaint for Divorce". Included in this document are, the names of the parties, a paragraph stating that the Plaintiff has been a resident of Georgia for at least six (6) months prior to filing the complaint, where the Defendant may be served, the names and dates of birth of any minor children born into the marriage, a paragraph addressing the income of the parties, the grounds for the divorce, and what relief the Plaintiff is seeking (alimony, child support, attorney's fees, the marital residence, the lake house, vacation home, investments/assets, etc). The Complaint must be verified under oath. Therefore, a signed, notarized "Verification" is required for any complaint or petition filed in court.

    • Service by Publication

      When a Plaintiff does not know the whereabouts of his or her spouse, a search must first be initiated to locate the spouse, and an affidavit of diligent search must be filed at the time the Complaint for Divorce is filed. Then a notice must be placed in the local legal organ (newspaper) for the County in which the Plaintiff resides. After the expiration of sixty (60) days from the date of publication, the attorney may request a trial date to conclude the divorce action.

      Documents associated with a divorce action may include:
      • Complaint for Divorce
      • Verification
      • Child Support Worksheet
      • Permanent Parenting Plan
      • Settlement Agreement
      • Alternative Dispute Resolution
      • Mediation Agreement
      • Consent to Trial
      • Acknowledgment of Service
      • Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
      • Parenting Seminar
      • Interrogatories
      • Request for Production of Documents
      • Notice to Produce
      • Notice of Deposition
      • Temporary Order
      • Disclaimer of Representation
      • Temporary Protective Order
      • Contempt Order
      • Domestic Relations Financial Affidavits
      • Child Support Addendum
      • Notice of Publication
    • Mediation

      Mediation is available to mediate the issues of the divorce action. Some courts require that the divorcing parties go to mediation. A mediator is an independent, neutral party who listens to the concerns of each party and attempts to help them reach a resolution. If some issues just cannot be resolved in mediation, then a “mediation agreement” will be signed by the parties as to those issues that were resolved. The remaining unresolved issues will be determined by the Court at trial.

    • Discovery

      Discovery includes interrogatories (questions that must be answered under oath), "requests for production of documents" or "notice to produce" which require the parties to turn over certain documents pertaining to property, finances, debts, investments, employment, etc. Discovery may also include depositions in which a party is required to testify under oath with all questions and testimony being taken down (typed) by a court reporter.

      Note: During the discovery period, phone records, social media accounts (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, etc.), text messages, e-mail, are all fair game.

    • Waiting Periods

      Divorce in Georgia can take as little as thirty-one (31) days from the date of filing the divorce action, by signing a "Consent To Trial". This is only for "uncontested divorces", through a "Settlement Agreement" resolving all the issues pertaining to division of assets/property, marital debts, minor children, and so forth. However, when the divorce contested; however, the parties will, no doubt, engage in discovery to determine assets, debts, etc., prior to having a final hearing. Discovery could take up to six months from the date the Defendant files his/her answer.

    • Separation

      In Georgia you can continue to reside together in the same marital home and be considered "separated". Georgia only requires that the parties are in a "bonafide state of separation", regardless as to whether they continued to reside in the same marital residence.

  • DUI - Español

    • ¿Qué sucede si me niego una prueba de alcoholemia?

      Rechazar una prueba de alcoholemia probablemente se traducirá en tener su licencia suspendida o incluso ir a la cárcel. Los fiscales todavía pueden basar un posible cargo de DUI / DWI en otras pruebas recogidas en la escena, incluyendo observaciones de oficiales, o los resultados de una prueba de sobriedad. Además, su denegación podrá ser usado en su contra en cualquier posible juicio.

      Conducir en la carretera de nuestro país es considerado un privilegio, no un derecho. Por lo tanto, los estados pueden suspender o revocar su licencia de conducir, imponer multas, o incluso poner en la cárcel por no someterse a una prueba de alcoholemia cuando se sospecha de un DUI.

      Resulta que bajo "La ley de consentimiento implícito," conductores han consentido implícitamente a una prueba de alcoholemia, a cambio de una licencia de conducir. En pocas palabras, si usted rechaza un alcoholímetro, que se rendirá sus privilegios de conducir, durante 12 meses. Las personas con pasados condenas por DUI pueden enfrentar suspensiones incluso más largos o incluso penas de cárcel. Por supuesto, algunos pueden llegar a la conclusión de que la pena por negarse una prueba de BAC es menos grave que una tercera o cuarta condena por DUI, por lo que realmente depende.

      "No-Negativa "Cumplimiento: El Estado puede obligar a los sospechosos conductores ebrios a someterse a pruebas bajo la autoridad de una orden judicial. Rechazar una prueba de BAC orden ordenado puede resultar en cargos de desacato graves, y la policía sólo puede dibujar una prueba de sangre por la fuerza.

    • ¿Y el Día Regla 10?
      La regla 10 días entra en juego si usted se negó a tomar un examen de orina, sangre o aliento. Si este es el caso en su situación, usted está buscando en una suspensión de un año de su licencia de conducir. Esto se puede evitar mediante la solicitud de una audiencia con el Departamento de Seguridad Pública de Georgia, que debe ser manuscrita. Si usted no hace esta solicitud dentro de los 10 días hábiles posteriores a su arresto, a continuación, su licencia de conducir de Georgia será suspendido automáticamente
    • ¿Y si el agente que lo detuvo no me leyó mis derechos Miranda?

      Bajo la ley de Georgia, un oficial de policía no tiene que dar una advertencia Miranda durante la investigación de DUI inicial de un oficial. Un oficial de policía sólo tiene que emitirá sus derechos Miranda después de haber sido arrestado y antes de que el oficial le interroga. Usted debe guardar silencio, sabiendo que el oficial está a cargo y se escucha con atención y observación de usted. Cuanto más usted dice que el más probable es que para incriminar a ti mismo antes, durante o después de haber sido arrestado.

      Sin embargo, si usted ha sido colocado en custodia, interrogados, y no emitió una advertencia Miranda declaraciones incriminatorias que realice no será admisible en el tribunal de justicia. Siempre es una buena idea ponerse en contacto con un abogado de Cumming Georgia DUI si usted tiene alguna pregunta acerca de los derechos de Miranda o cualquier otra faceta de la ley de DUI.

    • ¿Qué sucede si me declaro culpable de un DUI en un tribunal de Georgia?

      Tiempo en la cárcel obligatoria. A pesar de su cooperación, el fallo juez sobre su caso no tiene otro remedio que condenar a penas de cárcel. Su licencia también será suspendido por un año, y usted tiene antecedentes penales (DUI), por lo que es difícil conseguir un buen trabajo. Las tasas de seguros de automóviles más altos que seguir durante años. A continuación, añadir a todo esto, la ansiedad y el estrés emocional importante que a menudo conduce a problemas familiares y laborales.

  • Bankruptcy - Español

    • ¿Qué es un Acuerdo de Reafirmación?

      Incluso si una deuda puede ser dado de alta, es posible que tenga razones especiales por las que desea prometer pagarlo. Por ejemplo, es posible que desee elaborar un plan con el banco para mantener su auto. Para prometer pagar la deuda, debe firmar y presentar un acuerdo de reafirmación ante la corte. Convenios de reafirmación están bajo reglas especiales y son voluntarios. Ellos no están obligados por la ley de bancarrota o por cualquier otra ley.

      Convenios de reafirmación:

      • debe ser voluntaria,
      • no debe colocar una carga demasiado pesada para usted o su familia,
      • debe estar en su mejor interés, y
      • se puede cancelar en cualquier momento antes de que la corte emita su descarga o dentro de los 60 días después de que el convenio se presente ante el tribunal, lo que le da la mayor parte del tiempo.

      Si usted es una persona y no está representado por un abogado, el tribunal debe celebrar una audiencia para decidir si aprueba o no el acuerdo de reafirmación. El acuerdo no será jurídicamente vinculante hasta que el tribunal lo aprueba.

      Ser aconsejado: Si usted reafirma una deuda y luego no la paga, usted debe la deuda lo mismo que si no hubo quiebra. La deuda no será descargada y el acreedor puede tomar medidas para recuperar todo bien sobre el que tiene un gravamen o hipoteca. El acreedor también puede tomar medidas legales para recuperar un fallo en su contra.

    • ¿Qué es una descarga de bancarrota y cómo funciona?

      Una de las razones por las que se declaran en quiebra es conseguir un "alta". Una descarga es una orden judicial que establece que usted no tiene que pagar la mayor parte de sus deudas. Algunas deudas no pueden ser descargadas.

      No se puede descargar deudas de:

      • la mayoría de los impuestos,
      • manutención de los hijos,
      • pensión alimenticia,
      • la mayoría de los préstamos estudiantiles,
      • multas judiciales y restituciones penal, o
      • daños personales causados por conducir ebrio o bajo la influencia de drogas,
      • deudas que surgieron después de la fecha en que presentó, y
      • si el juez determina que usted recibió dinero o bienes mediante fraude.

      Es importante enumerar todos sus bienes y deudas en sus planillas de bancarrota. Si usted no incluye una deuda, por ejemplo, es posible que la deuda no será dado de alta. El juez también puede negarle el descargo si usted hace algo deshonesto en relación con su caso de bancarrota, como destruir u ocultar bienes, falsificar registros o mentira, o si usted desobedece una orden judicial.

      NOTA: Sólo puede recibir una descarga capítulo 7 una vez cada ocho años y podrá aplicar otras reglas si ha recibido previamente una descarga en un caso del capítulo 13.

      Nadie puede obligar a pagar una deuda que ha sido dado de alta, pero se puede pagar voluntariamente cualquier deuda que desea pagar. Usted no tiene que firmar un acuerdo de reafirmación (ver más abajo) o cualquier otro tipo de documento para hacer esto.

      Algunos acreedores tienen un crédito garantizado, por ejemplo, el banco que tiene la hipoteca de su casa o de la compañía de préstamos que tiene un derecho de retención sobre su coche. Usted no tiene que pagar un crédito garantizado si la deuda se descarga, pero el acreedor aún puede tomar la propiedad.

    • ¿Voy a perder mi trabajo si me declaro en bancarrota?

      Declararse en bancarrota es la información que el público pueda ver. Sin embargo, esta información no se publica en ningún periódico o distribuido en cualquier tienda. Las únicas personas que saben que usted presentó en quiebra es el fiduciario en su caso, a sus acreedores, y el pueblo que los que decide contar. Si su empleador se entera de su caso, no debería afectar negativamente a su cargo o puesto de trabajo. Esto no puede ser cierto si usted trabaja en la industria financiera.

    • ¿Cómo voy a pagar mis cuentas de cara al futuro?

      La clave para pagar sus cuentas, además de obtener el máximo provecho de su caso de bancarrota es formar un presupuesto estricto que puede seguir razonable. Si usted ha declarado en bancarrota del capítulo 13, usted necesita tener un presupuesto para asegurarse de que usted está tomando el cuidado de todos sus pagos requeridos. Si usted se declara en el capítulo 7 usted tendrá sus deudas descargadas, pero sólo aquellas deudas que tenía antes de la petición para el Capítulo 7 se presentó. Usted necesitará un presupuesto si usted se declara en el Capítulo 7 para asegurarse de que usted no tendrá que presentar de nuevo en el futuro. Usted debe ser capaz de consultar con su abogado de bancarrota Cumming Georgia sobre este asunto.

    • ¿Qué pasa con mi crédito?

      La quiebra puede dañar su crédito y, posteriormente, su puntaje de crédito. Todos sabemos que las puntuaciones de crédito desempeñan un papel importante en nuestras vidas y tienen desde hace algún tiempo, ya que ayudan a determinar la cantidad que pagamos por nuestros autos, casas y más. Sin embargo, si su puntaje ya ha sido dañado, la quiebra puede ser un gran primer paso para reconstruir su crédito.

    • ¿Por qué contratar El P.C. McCormick Firm?

      Nuestro experimentado equipo siempre va a proteger sus derechos durante el uso de nuestra gran piscina de los recursos y la experiencia para ayudar a salvar sus bienes. A menudo, las compañías hipotecarias y bancos tratarán de violar sus derechos, en un esfuerzo para tomar todo lo que puedan de usted, por lo que necesita un agresivo quiebra firma de abogados que tiene años de experiencia en el trato con las complejidades de la ley deudor y el acreedor.

      Usted tendrá la tranquilidad de saber que estamos a su lado durante todo el alivio de la deuda o el proceso de quiebra. El McCormick Law Firm siempre toma el tiempo para explicar a los nuevos clientes cómo funciona la quiebra, y siempre le aconsejará sobre el mejor curso de acción a tomar en función de su situación. Vamos a disipar cualquier mitos que usted pueda tener acerca de la presentación para el Capítulo 7 o Capítulo 13 de bancarrota, y presentar con hechos e información que le ayudará a decidir sobre el mejor curso de acción a tomar.